ATV / Off-Road Trips
The forest surrounding the city of Custer has become a very popular destination for ATV and off-roading enthusiasts.
However, off-roading has been restricted in the Black Hills National Forest to help curb the damage and wildlife disturbance created by these types of vehicles.
You can find open ATV and Off-Road Maps at the Custer City Chamber of Commerce, located on Mt. Rushmore Road in Custer.
Things to Remember about Off-Roading
- All vehicles must be licensed if they travel on South Dakota roads. ATV's may not be used on the Interstate, Highways or other high-speed, marked roadways.
- ATVs operated in state parks must be equipped with a horn, mirror, headlight, brake light, brakes and a license plate. Operators must be 14 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license.
- Eye protection is required of all users on public/park roads unless a windshield is in place.
- Helmets are required of all users under 18 years of age.
- Vehicle recreationists have a responsibility to care for the land by staying on designated motorized routes and following travel management regulations for the particular area in which they are riding.
Fort Welikit Rental Vehicles, ATV's & Campers
Location: 675 W Mt Rushmore Rd, Custer SD 57730
Phone: 605-673-6600 or 1-888-978-2267