Are you a winter enthusiast and the person that stands outside with their mouth open wide saying ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah?
Winter is full of amazing activities for all ages. Winter activities can range from snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and jaw-dropping site seeing because of the white diamond sparklingsnow. Winter is one of the most beautiful times in the Black Hills. Here are some amazing places and winter activities that you can do around the Black Hills on your next winter trip!
Have you ever drove around Spearfish, South Dakota and looked at all of the beautiful fall colors on the trees? Think of going out and about on a snowmobile, riding and jumping through big fluffy clouds of snow! In Spearfish, there are over 350 miles of marked trails that you can explore that are loved by many. The cliffs are full of snow and there are so many amazing views that you need to stop your snowmobile just to capture in that beautiful moment. Also, there are so many other endless opportunities for snowmobile trails. Almost all 1.2 million acres of the Black Hills permit you to go snowmobiling. 1.2 MILLION ACRES! You just need to explore and find out what your favorite spot is because I can guarantee you will keep coming back for more.
Skiing is a well-known sport for all ages along with taking great skill and practice. In Lead, South Dakota there is a beautiful peak where all the locals go as well as annual visitors call Terry Peak. This is not just a place for skiers, but snowboarders and snow tubers as well. This is a great place to bring the whole family, celebrate events or have a little alone time in your head enjoying the thrill of soaring down a hill doing some thrilling tricks and/or trying not to fall face first in a huge pile of snow.
Snowshoeing – have you ever tried it? Once you try it here, you will want to do this activity everywhere. Plus it is a fantastic workout after you have enjoyed all of your holiday meals and treats. Do you have a favorite trail in the Black Hills that you do every summer? Try it in the winter! Black Elk Peak is stunning and once you get to the top you will see all the beautiful trees covered in white. When you look off into the distance you can see Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana. There are other great places to go snowshoeing around the Black Hills, again Spearfish Canyon is a favorite to many. Make sure to bring your walking sticks!
Sightseeing is still something that every visitor needs to add to their list when they are visiting on their winter vacation. Mount Rushmore National Monument and the Crazy Horse Monument are beautiful sights when they have snow wrapped around them. Do not forget about the burros and buffalo at Custer State Park. The park is open year-round along with many other local attractions.
If you have some open weekends and want to plan some additional fun activities, here is a list of just some of the popular Black Hills winter events:
- November 2, 2019 | Wind Cave 150-Mile Celebration | Wild Cave National Park
- November 9, 2019 | Mountain West Beer Fest | Rapid City
- November 15 – December 18, 2019 | Black Hills Christmas Tree Permit Season
- November 29 – December 28, 2019 | 1880 Train Holiday Express | Hill City
- November 30, 2019 | Holiday Celebration and Winter Market | Rapid City
- December 4 – December 5, 2019 | Festival of Trees | Lead
- December 7, 2019 | Holidazzle Light Parade | Spearfish
- December 14 – December 15, 2019 | Black Hills Cowboy Christmas | Lead
- December 15, 2019 – March 31, 2020 | South Dakota Snowmobile Trail Season | Lead
- January 18, 2020 | 2020 Burning Beetle | Custer
- January 24, 2020 | Pro Snocross Races| Deadwood
- January 31 – February 9, 2020 | Annual Black Hills Stock Show and Rodeo | Rapid City
- February 21 – February 22, 2020 | Marci Gras Weekend
Custer is more than just a small town in South Dakota. It is a place that feels like a home away from home, filled with so much history, great people and so many unique activities and events. There are amazing places to stay, places to eat, and activities to do. We hope to see you soon!